Wednesday, September 16, 2009

A Predicament

Four years in college earned me only a handful of friends. That's because when I say friends, I mean people who you can trust with anything, anytime. For a person like me, trust was a very important virtue in people, which attracted me magnetically towards certain people. And they have remained forever.

There was one such friend of mine in college whom I met in the first year. In the first month of joining the college, he fell in love with his classmate. I respected their relationship. I used to look up to them, and believed in what they shared. She became a very good friend of mine, and I used to tell her how I'll help her elope with my friend after college when the time comes. They were my role models when I fell in love with my classmate in the last year of college. And they supported us too.

Four years of college together later, we went our separate ways. I joined Infosys, my friend was unemployed and was at his house in Kerala, and his girlfriend was in a software company in Trivandrum. This is where she met a guy who tried to hit on her all the time. She hated him, and tried to avoid him all the time. A few months later, my friend calls me up one night and tells me that his relationship with her was over. It came as a shock to me, and everybody else in our group who knew them. And guess what the reason was? She fell in love with the guy who used to hit on her. The guy whom she hated all this while.

I went to meet my friend who was in shambles by this time. He took a long time to recover from it, and get back to his original self. Months passed by and he's back to normal now. At least I think so. I heard she got married to some other guy(a third one, as far as I'm aware of) recently and quit her job. My friend trusted her with his life. And she trampled over his dreams in one quick moment, with no feeling of guilt, or remorse. I would think from my friends side how he watched the love of his life go away with someone whom even she hated and complained about to him. I have never met this person but I hated him for what he did. I know he was selfish for his own reasons. The world would say that anyone in his position would have done the same thing. But I don't believe in that bullshit. I think what he did was wrong, and what the girl did was much worse than that.

Which brings me to my predicament. After a couple of years in Infosys, a very good friend of mine(not anymore) saw a girl whom he liked instantly. He found out that she had a boyfriend who was working in another company. He was selfish like every other person would be. Humans. And the same story continued. This time, the point of view was different. He started hitting on her. She hated him the most in our group. Months passed by. One day she realises she is in love with him. She tells her boyfriend who has sacrificed a lot for their relationship to get lost(I've realised from many of my friends relationships that girls love doing this. Each one story can be a new blog).

I saw how it hurt my friend from college. I know how much I hated that guy who robbed his girl away from him. And now, I'm in a completely different position to judge. A predicament, so ironic.

PS: After what happened to my college friend, I don't believe girls anymore. My female friends have always come up with counter arguments against my stance saying that not all girls are alike and stuff like that. If you feel the same, you can always tell me. I would simply reply with a polite 'F*** Off' to that.For quite a few have said this: Frailty, thy name is woman.

4 comments:

Kamchalabdhan said...

There is a saying in malayalam "അങ്കുശമില്ലാത്ത ചപല്ല്യമേ നിന്നെ ഞാന്‍ സ്ത്രീ എന്ന് വിളിക്കുന്നു " is this characters are anish and mrudula??

Vishnu said...

I guess I knew the boy and the girl. Nop, I didn't read Kamchal's comment ;-)

ദീപ said...

good post...
and let me come up with a true story later..may be after 30 years,..
I have a good story to tell,but I cant do it now...

JD said...

you can trust girls, but not when they are your girlfriend or lover..hehe
all other roles of girls are trustable..