Friday, July 27, 2007

cRusH

There was this girl in my college. I remember when I first saw her. That was the day I fell in love for the first time. She was sitting in the library reading a reader’s digest. To this day, I have absolutely no idea what I was doing there on that fine Wednesday morning.

I didn’t know this was love. How can I? I’ve never loved anyone before. But then again, I’ve never had such a feeling in my life. So this must be what being in love feels like. Aha! Now what could I do about it. I knew I couldn’t tell her how I feel. No way. What would she feel? How would she react? For Christ’s sake, she doesn’t even know me. Even though the real reason behind it was my lack of guts, I cannot admit it here. I couldn’t sleep for 3 days. She was all that was in my head. And the funny thing was that she had absolutely no idea about it.

I’ll call her Nisha. You can call her any other name you want to. She wasn’t very beautiful to my friends. But she had something in her that stole my heart away. She was too naïve. She was too simple. She was too different. She was too good for a guy like me.

We were in the same class for the last 4 years. We spent a lot of time together. She used to teach me before the exams. She used to write my assignments all the time. She used to give my attendance when I bunked classes. I always felt special when I was with her. But she never knew I loved her so much.

She gave me a watch on our farewell day. She always knew I loved watches. It was a titan fast-track. Red, my favorite colour. It must have cost her a fortune. She told me she’d miss me after we leave. She had no idea how I’d feel. I thought of letting her know my feelings for her. But then, what if she didn’t feel the same way? It would be awkward. What if it jeopardizes our friendship? I couldn’t live with that.

She’s getting married this month. She called me yesterday. I said I’d come. She sounded very happy. After all, she’s marrying a very successful guy. I think I’ll let my feelings for her die with me. After all, I’m too late now. I should get her something. Maybe a watch.

For all the people out there who got this far, I would like to say that this is not my story. Also, this is not a work of fiction. It’s your own. Almost all of us have had a crush on someone we’ve met someplace. And almost all of us have never let them know our feelings for them. This is how almost all our stories end. Maybe we’re missing out on something in our lives. But who knows, we’ve never tried further.

The author of this piece of work would like to stress on the fact once again that this is not his life story. For the record,
· The ‘I’ referenced in the above article has nothing to do with me.
· I have never been to the library.
· The girl has nothing to do with any girl getting married this month, or any other month for that matter.
· I don’t wear a watch. Especially a red one.

3 comments:

Manjima said...

Good One! I like the ending, the disclaimer :)

Manisha said...

Chechi is right... cool one!

...aNish... said...

thanks sisters!